The Association of Professional Biology (APB) is the “voice” for Biology Professionals in British Columbia. Our members are in good standing with accredited regulatory natural resource organizations such as the College of Applied Biology (CAB) in B.C. and the Alberta’s Society of Professional Biologists (ASPB). Members are governed by provincial legislation (e.g., College of Applied Biology Act and its Rules). The APB works to continually evolve the practice of biology through providing professional development opportunities and guidance for Biology Professionals and other Resource Professionals in BC and the rest of Canada. We also advocate for advancements in the application, practice and understanding of biological sciences.
The APB works in concert with many other natural resource professional associations in BC to advance professional reliance responsibilites and ensure competency through training, guidance and our cornerstone annual APB Conference. The APB demonstrates leadership to the public, its members and other professions through:
- Increasing general understanding of the benefits to the public, environment, industry and government in employing Registered Biology Professionals.
- Increasing the understanding in other professions of the key role Registered Biology Professionals play as part of a professional team.
- Promoting legislation as a means of ensuring Registered Biology Professionals maintain competency and accountability.
- Involvement in mentorship, school outreach, science fairs and job fairs to facilitate the involvement of students and outside professional audiences in the profession.
- Providing scholarships to those engaged in the study of applied biology.
- Recognizing excellence through practice related awards.