When applying for this scholarship, we require the following information, which should be assembled in a folder before mailing.
- Download and complete the application form. Submit form to [email protected]
- Include a short personal statement which tell us about yourself. Please expand on the following:
Interests; Activities out of school time; and Your goals for the future.
- Include a current resume.
- Arrange for and include two letters of reference.
- Mail original transcripts to the APB office.
Terms of Reference
Applicants for the APB Scholarship and Bursary may be:
- the son or daughter, spouse, niece, nephew, granddaughter or
grandson of a member in good standing of the APB entering the third or
fourth year of an undergraduate program in biology or the second year of
a diploma program in biology, or a closely related area as specified in
the College schedule
- a student member of the APB entering the third or fourth year of
an undergraduate program in biology or the second year of a diploma
program in biology, or a closely related area as specified in the
- a Biologist in Training of the APB returning to university to pursue a higher degree
- a Registered Biology Technologist in Training of the APB pursuing an undergraduate or higher degree
- an R.P.Bio, in good standing with the APB returning to university to pursue a higher degree
- an R.B.Tech. in good standing with the APB who is pursuing an undergraduate or higher degree
Applicants must be enrolled in an academic program, similar to those
in the College membership guidelines, that leads to a degree or diploma
that will be used as a practicing biology professional. Applicants will
be eligible to re-apply for the scholarship in subsequent years.
However, an applicant will only be eligible to receive a scholarship up
to a maximum of two years.
The final date for applications for the scholarship shall be July 31
of the year in which the student will be starting her/his second year
(diploma) third or fourth year (degree) or entering/continuing a
Applicants are required to fill in the application form available on the web site.
Information required with the application includes:
- a letter to the scholarship committee indicating the applicant’s
qualifications, background, professional /extracurricular interests and
- two letters of reference.
- Ensure original transcripts are mailed to the APB office to arrive prior to the deadline.
The information provided is to inform the committee about the
applicant’s goals, life experiences, motivations and extracurricular
Applications shall be reviewed by the Committee, convened by the
Chair, or any combination of the Chair and two members of the APB (i.e. a
In the case of a conflict of interest (i.e. son, daughter, spouse,
co-worker), a member of the Committee (or Selection Sub-committee) will
step down and another member will be appointed by the remaining members
or by the Board as so required.
Selection shall be on an assignment of points for each application, with the top scorer(s) receiving the scholarship(s).
In the case of a tie, the committee may:
- interview the applicants by phone
- review the applications
- check with references
- choose to divide the scholarship between the two individuals.
Applicants will be evaluated on a scale of 50 points where:
- 20 points – evaluation of transcript;
- 10 points – evaluation of letters of reference; and
- 20 points – evaluation of personal information.
The committee may choose not to award a scholarship in any year in which there is no candidate scoring at least 40 points.
A cheque will be forwarded to the winner on proof of registration at
the post-secondary institution specified in the application.
A brief write-up taken from the information supplied by the applicant will appear in BioNews and/or other APB media.