Thank you for considering joining the Association of Professional Biology (APB). Your support would strengthen our ability to advocate for and represent professional biologists in BC and provide resources for those practicing in British Columbia and beyond. As a member, you would also be able to take advantage of various benefits, which you can read about on our Member Benefits page.
The APB has various categories of membership:
- Accredited Member ($85 plus GST): Only open to practicing professional biologists who are in good standing with an accredited regulated professional accreditation organization (e.g.: College of Applied Biology (CAB) in B.C. or Alberta’s Society of Professional Biologists (ASPB) as, for example, an RPBio or an APBio. Accredited members have voting rights on APB governance and policy.
- Affiliate Membership (General $85 / Student $25 plus GST): For non-professional or non-accredited biologists. Students can join as Affiliate members at a discounted rate. Affiliate members cannot vote on APB governance and policy.
Both Accredited Membership and Affiliate Membership in the APB is renewed on an annual basis so that it covers the period from January 1 to December 31.
In addition to these regular membership categories, the APB has three specific designations that are periodically awarded, two for voting members and one for non-voting members.
- Emeritus (Retired) Membership (Annual $50 / Permanent $200 plus GST) is for prospective members who are 65 years of age or older. More details are given below.
- Fellow Membership ($75 plus GST) in the Association of Professional Biology (FAPB) is a designation for long-serving active members who have displayed exemplary application of the APB’s purposes during their career.
- Life Member designations recognize long-serving APB members who have made a significant positive contribution to the Association during their membership.
- Honorary Membership is a category where non-biology professionals are granted a symbolic, non-voting membership in the Association in recognition of their great contribution to the science of biology.
Purchase a Membership
To purchase an annual membership as an Accredited, Affiliate or Emeritus (Retired) Member, follow the appropriate link below to go to our APB Store and click the Add to Cart button. More detailed descriptions of the membership categories are given on this page.
If you wish to renew a Fellow Membership or renew an Emeritus Membership on a Permanent basis, or inquire about Life and Honorary Memberships, please contact our office at [email protected].
Emeritus (Retired) Membership
Emeritus Memberships may continue to qualify for HUB Professional Liability Insurance benefits.
Retirement coverage (if you meet the qualifications):
- All prior work would be covered once the policy is put in place
- Coverage carries on through retirement for past work if you meet the requirements
To download a guide to the key benefits of the Association Professional Liability programs click HERE
For more information on coverage as a retired member, please contact
HUB International, Account Manager
Toll Free: 1‐800‐606‐9969
Email: [email protected]